2020 Canada 2 oz Silver Creatures of the North Kraken
For as long as ships have sailed the seas, monsters have risen from the depths to strike terror in people’s hearts. One of the most frightening is the Kraken, a massive sea monster with tentacles so large, it can easily destroy an entire vessel, and drag it beneath the waves. From the Nordic countries to Greenland, South Africa and New Zealand, the Kraken appears on sea charts and in European lore as early as 1555.
- Contains 2 oz of .9999 fine Silver.
- Coin comes in protective packaging.
- Obverse: The effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
- Reverse: Features an absolutely stunning rendition of the Kraken attacking a ship. The Kraken dwarfs the ship as it tears apart the entire ship with its massive tentacles.
- Guaranteed by the Royal Canadian Mint.
In the 1700s, European settlers in Newfoundland and Labrador began reporting Kraken sightings. An early photograph confirmed the existence of strange tentacled creatures off Newfoundland and Labrador, but their super-sized potential did not come to light until a 17m long monster washed up in Glovers Harbour, Thimble Tickle Bay in 1878. The cryptic Kraken continues to elude scientists to this day, but recent underwater footage proves that giant mysteries do indeed lurk beneath the sea.
As new issues in the Creatures of the North series are released twice a year, investors should keep a watchful eye out to see which creature will emerge from its lair next!