2019 Austrian Robin Hood 825th Anniversary 1oz Silver Coin
Free Shipping | Where applicable VAT is calculated at checkout
This is the third and final coin in the brilliant 825th anniversary three-coin series from the Austrian Mint that beautifully illustrates the founding of the Vienna Mint.
- Mintage of 100,000 coins.
- Contains 1 oz of fine Silver.
- Obverse: Features a crusader on horseback, part of Leopold's crusade along with the year, weight and face value.
- Reverse: The reverse features the ‘King of Thieves’.
- Guaranteed by the Austrian government.
Robin Hood, the subject of the third and final coin in the series, is the hero of numerous ballads dating from the late Middle Ages and early modern period. Over the centuries, his portrayal evolved from an outlaw into the righteous character who stole from the rich to give to the poor. It was Sir Walter Scott’s novel Ivanhoe, published in 1820, which forged the classic Robin Hood myth that prevails today.
Whether Robin Hood really existed is uncertain. What is clearer, however, is that the taxation imposed on the people of England in order to raise the huge ransom paid to Austria for the release of King Richard caused violent social unrest in the country, which historians believe led to the origin of the legend of Robin Hood.